GD American Idiot

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Tue Feb 15 10:11:38 CST 2005

>Frate, Chris
>Any Real Discussion?
>
>I gotta agree about the Green Day record.

When ya gotta....Ya gotta!

>I haven't had a non-Who CD in my car for this many repeated listenings
in about 20 years.

Wow.  Took the words right out of my mouth.
I've listened to this CD probably 5+ times in entirety, and I'm not even
close to bored.
I can't remember an album that has hit-song after hit-song, after
hit-song like this one.
I kind of thought Green Day's ballad about 'best years of my life'
(don't even know the proper title) was a fluke, but this album confirms
that the writing of Armstrong is really very, very good.
It's no fluke.  I see him and Green Day speaking for a whole new
generation now, and into the future.
I may get bashed for this, but there was John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and
now Armstrong as individual leaders/representatives of their generations
(not that I really liked Cobain's lyrics).

>I saw a great article that compared the album more to a "Quick One"
than "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia"

I see this too. American Idiot doesn't really enter the "opera" field,
but it is a concept album with a few hints at opera-ness.

>The really remarkable thing for me is that the music is so powerful and
the passion is so palpable that I love
>the record even though the lyrics are a bit counter to my own views.

It's the music version of F9/11, but with a much more unbiased take.  No
mistake from which side Armstrong speaks, but he does speak for all.
Can't ignore lyrics like "I may be The Faggot America.  I'm not part of
a Redneck agenda."
That's just about people and trying to get along.

What I really like is Jesus of suburbia...particularly the sentiment
about Ridlin, and "there's nothing wrong with me, this is how I'm
supposed to be."
It smacks of exactly what Pete writes about..."The kids are alright."
As Armstrong states..."in a land of make-believe, you don't believe in
me."
Believe in your kids.  They're alright.

>As the Godfather of Rock Opera I keep waiting to hear what Pete has to
say about it, but I haven't seen any
>statements yet.

Funny, I'm waiting for this too.
You *know* this album is challenging our boys.  It has to.
It's that good.

I'm so thrilled to have this fresh music to listen to.
In the words of my good friend Julia, who's musical tastes I never
doubt......
"I can't say enough good things about this album."
It's a must.

Kevin in VT