Any Real Discussion?

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sat Feb 12 17:14:54 CST 2005

> >Anxiously awaiting the Petra Haden release.....
>
> Really?
> What am I missing?

==========
Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out

Petra's album, in stores on 2/22, is total truth in advertising.  On
this a capella disc, Petra sings all the parts of the entire classic
Who album, a playful pop concept record that predates Tommy - she
recreates the original vocal parts, the harmonies, the guitar solos,
Keith Moon's roiling drum parts, EVERYTHING, with her voice alone.
And she recorded this ingenious homage on a worn-out eight-track tape
recorder given to her by the Minutemen's Mike Watt, the fellow artist
and pal who originally challenged her to take on this outrageous
project.  Watt's dare was also motivated by love; he conceived it as a
tribute to his late bandmate, lifelong friend and major Who fan, D.
Boon.

Pete Townshend has already declared Petra's album "exquisite."  Tracks
have already been featured on NPR's "All Songs Considered," and we can
guarantee there will be lots of press and alternative radio (and maybe
even some classic rock) attention in the months to come. Petra's
effort at verisimilitude extends beyond the grooves to the very
artwork, which painstakingly replicates the original album cover,
including the infamous image of Roger Daltry sitting in a tubful of
baked beans. Ah, the things we do for love.