Franz Ferdinand on RAH Gig

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 22:49:24 CST 2005

http://www.utvinternet.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=7909&pt=e

FRIDAY 11/02/2005 12:47:53
Franz Ferdinand to play cancer concert

Double Brit Award winners Franz Ferdinand and comic Peter Kay are performing
at this year's Teenage Cancer Trust concert.

Keane, who scooped two awards at Wednesday night`s ceremony, will also be
playing at the Royal Albert Hall.

Other performers include Led Zeppelin legend Robert Plant, The Who founder
Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton and UB40.

This April will mark the fifth year of Teenage Cancer Trust concerts.

Phoenix Nights star Kay will host the comedy night and do his own routine on
April 6, which last year featured Ricky Gervais and Little Britain`s Matt
Lucas and David Walliams.

Previous shows have included performances from Oasis, The Who, Paul Weller
and Coldplay.

Other stars at the comedy night are yet to be announced.

Daltrey, who co-produces the concerts, said: "Every year we try to make
these concerts a uniquely amazing experience for the audiences and for the
artists who give up their time and energy for the Trust.

"But the true propose of these shows is to raise awareness of this very
special charity which makes a real difference to thousands of teenagers
across the UK.

"We all know that without teenagers, without their energy and their passion
for music, we wouldn`t have rock and roll as we know it."

The concerts take place over five nights from April 4.

Franz Ferdinand lead singer Alex Kapranos told Virgin Radio: "We`ve never
played the Royal Albert Hall before.

It`s the sort of gig we used to joke about with our mates when we were
playing wee gigs, saying: `Yeah, one day we`ll be playing the Albert Hall,`
but never imagining we would."

Kapranos said he was stunned when Roger Daltrey called him personally to
invite Franz Ferdinand to perform.

"It was quite a shocker, I`m a huge Who fan and to get Roger Daltrey on the
phone was very exciting. You don`t say no to him," he said.