Roger gets his award

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 08:38:05 CST 2005

>From BBC News at:

Who singer Daltrey collects CBE

The Who frontman Roger Daltrey collected his CBE on
Wednesday for his services to music, the entertainment
industry and charity.

The 60-year-old rock singer said he had been honoured
to meet the Queen as she conducted the honours
ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

"She said I got this for my music as well as charity
work but I don't think she's a rock and roll fan," he
joked.

"She'd probably fall off her podium if she heard The
Who's songs."

The Who carved out a reputation for their
anti-establishment lyrics, with My Generation one of
the anthems of the 1960s.

Daltrey said: "I still have criticisms of the
establishment but the Queen is an exceptional woman. I
think she's amazing."

The musician is a patron of the Teenage Cancer Trust
and has helped raised more than £2m and has organised
concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.

He said: "I didn't expect to get this. None of us work
alone so I accept this for those that don't get
anything."

The Who were formed in 1964 and their breakthrough
came with the single I Can't Explain which was
followed by a string of hits including I'm A Boy,
Happy Jack, Pictures Of Lily, Pinball Wizard and Won't
Get Fooled Again.

Defining a generation

Alongside the Beatles and The Rolling Stones, the band
helped define a generation and became known for their
wild live performances which often resulted in the
destruction of part of the set.

Although The Who did not have a number one single in
the UK, their strength lay in massive album sales.

Managing to break the elusive American market, the
band also performed live at the Monterey Pop Festival
in 1967 and Woodstock in 1969.

He and guitarist Pete Townshend are the only surviving
member of The Who, which also consisted of drummer
Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle.

Daltrey has also been responsible for creating
ambitious rock operas Quadrophenia and Tommy, and
played a starring role in the film version of Tommy.

He is currently planning a new Who album, called Who2,
which will be their first studio recording in 23
years.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!