Houston '75.....Oh My!

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 19:37:20 CST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim M" <NakedI at comcast.net>

> I did want to mention how strange it was to see Baba and WGFA played
> without
> any lighting effects.  They announce Baba and just sort of stand there,
> fully lit, while the synth tape starts.  It seems so obvious that you
> should
> let the intro's of these songs do the introduction.  But, hey, it's great
> have good quality earlier versions of them.

OK, it's been a long weekend.  They're not fully lit.  During the Baba
intro, Keith is spot lit standing on his chair, twirling a stick.  And he
delivers during the song, absolutly pounding on his kit.  I don't think I've
ever seen such powerful cymbal crashes.  He's got the huge '70s cymbals and
when he hits them, they look like they're going to fly off their stands.

I also think this might be one of the best Tommys I've seen.  Which
completely surprised me. Really, really powerful.  Sparks blows you away.
Keith does a truly scary Fiddle About.  Roger sings Acid Queen, which he
shouldn't do, but never mind.  A tight, powerful Pinball Wizard.  I'm Free
has huge energy.  And it culminates with an amazing WNGTI/SMFM finale.  No
way did I think they were still playing Tommy like this in 1975.

The best parts of this disc are much, much better than the other clips of
the era I've seen.

Jim M