Iron Man

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:41:20 CST 2005

But that is the problem with fables and parables, isn't it? They talk to the
heart, and if you want to understand them you have to interpret them. In the
way I got the story, the Iron Man’s objective is not to send us back to a
more naturalistic lifestyle (cause he eats machines), but to send us to a
more ‘humanistic’ lifestyle, an one in what matters is the human being and
where unemployment and misery is not allowed to appear... In the story, they
try to find that humanistic lifestyle when they intend to control what the
Iron Man eats, and is exactly what the farmers did when sent him to the big
hole. In my interpretation, this means that they find an acceptable (in
social terms) path of ‘innovation’ (creation of new technologies) and
‘obsoletism’ (destruction of old technologies), one that would not cause too
much disequilibrium (principally unemployment) in the system. And finally,
in my interpretation, the Iron Man didn't kill the consumer dragon, but has
killed the hedonistic dragon. There is a big difference there, because to
kill the hedonistic dragon means that the domesticated Iron Man (or the
social controlled capitalist system) is allowing to come to adulthood (or to
the social scene) only wealthy, healthy and educated human beings, advanced
people that don’t want to alienate themselves in consumerism or addictions
of any specie.
Sorry for the political, economical and philosophical class. I can’t avoid
that.

Tom