The Who Mailing List Digest, V12 #83

JimTheWhoFan at aol.com JimTheWhoFan at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 10:32:40 CDT 2005

In a message dated 4/29/2005 10:24:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, alan  writes:
>Another aspect...it's so muddled that when Roger says, "I'm sure
> there's not one of us here who'd say no/To somebody's daughter" and
> Keith and the others shout "No!", what exactly are they saying No to?<<
I always took it to mean that the "guys" in the story saying "no" to having
sex with "somebody's daughter" are trying to demonstrate their willingness to
endure and press onward. All they need is "water, good, good water, and maybe
somebody's daughter." It's a way of saying, "we need water to survive, and
yeah, we'd like a little sex, too, but we're willing to forego that now because we
have bigger issues to deal with."

Your mileage may vary.

--Jim