Cavaliers season = A Quick One

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Apr 21 19:25:43 CDT 2005

> > At the most pivotal moment of A Quick One While He's Away, when the
> > husband returns, Townshend wanted cellos to underscore the drama. Alas,
> > he was told it was too expensive....  Townshend dealt with his
> > problem by having the band replicate sound by chanting, "cello, cello,
> > cello, cello, cello, cello, cello, cello."
>
> That's hialrious.  I hadn't heard that before.  I always wondered what that
> was supposed to mean.

Really?  I remembered being a bit puzzled when I first heard it but I think
I read the story about it soon afterwards.

Now, I keep imaging how it would sound with *real* cellos in that spot.

And imagine if they ever tried to "correct" that - how mad some Who fans
would get!  "They took out the spoken cellos & replaced 'em with real ones!
Those bastards!  Goddamn Astley!"

And, imagine if the real cellos had always been there - and you then heard
it with the spoken cellos.  How would you feel then?

- SCHRADE in Akron