Cavaliers season = A Quick One

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Thu Apr 21 13:24:38 CDT 2005

>Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
>Cavaliers season = A Quick One

My reporter friend sent me the whole article.
Pretty funny!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_bechtel/04/20/lebron/
index.html

"SI.com - Writers - Mark Bechtel: LeBron could learn a lot from Pete
Townshend - Wednesday April 20, 2005 1:46PM*

Lessons learned
LeBron finds second efforts reveal true worth
2005 1:46PM

As we return to our favorite topic of late -- the collapse of our
beloved Cavs -- I should tell you that right now I'm listening to one of
my favorite records, The Who's A Quick One. This is significant, because
I'm going to make a very strained analogy between this record and said
collapse. A Quick One was the group's second album, and it was
ostensibly a team effort; everyone was asked to write a couple of songs
for inclusion, and the rest of the record would be filled with covers.
Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and John Entwistle wrote a few decent numbers,
most notably Entwistle's Boris the Spider. But Pete Townshend's efforts
blew them away. In an incredibly precocious display, he wrote a
nine-minute mini-rock opera called A Quick One While He's Away, which is
six songs woven together to tell the story of a woman who has an affair
while her husband is gone for a year.

The Cavs' season was LeBron James' second, and it, much like The Who's
second effort, was ostensibly a team effort; everyone was asked to try
to make a shot every once in a while. Drew Gooden and Zydrunas Ilgauskas
had some nice games. But LeBron blew them away. In an incredibly
precocious display, he became the fifth player to average 25 points,
seven boards and seven assists in a season.

Now, just as The Who is Townshend's band, the Cavs are LeBron's team.
Say what you will about Moon's drumming or Daltrey's tight jeans, but if
Townshend isn't writing, then Moon isn't banging the skins and Daltrey's
not doing centripetal acceleration experiments with the microphone. (The
fact that the band went ahead with a tour a week after Entwistle died
should tell you something about how Pete and Roger viewed his relative
indispensability.)

With both groups' second efforts, Townshend and LeBron learned what it's
like to have one's genius reined in.

At the most pivotal moment of A Quick One While He's Away, when the
husband returns, Townshend wanted cellos to underscore the drama. Alas,
he was told it was too expensive. And at the most pivotal moment of the
Cavs' season, when they were trying to hold on to a playoff spot, LeBron
wanted someone to chip in and do something. Townshend dealt with his
problem by having the band replicate sound by chanting, "cello, cello,
cello, cello, cello, cello, cello, cello." If there's a basketball
equivalent to four men trying to sound like a string section, it's got
to be Ira Newble trying to pass himself off as a shooting guard. Neither
one is especially convincing.

So what about the finished products? A Quick One turned out to be a
pretty good album. I like it, but it's not something I'd put on a desert
island discs list or anything. As for the Cavs' season, we'll find out
tonight, but win or lose, it's also been pretty good.

<snip....the rest is sports stats, etc.>

Stay classy."

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: