Who - pre Tommy

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Sep 27 19:24:00 CDT 2004

> Yes, I met one of these a few years ago and it was quit frustrating. How can
> you only like half the Who? Upon further examination, and getting a little
> more about this person's musical taste, it chalked it up to really being
> into the whole punk/pop art part of The Who.

Yep.  That's got a lot to do with it.  For many of the punk/mod types
I know, The Who lose credibility after SELL OUT.  Like you said, once
TOMMY & the grandness of The Who emerges, they jump ship.  Gone
are the songs they can easily churn out on guitar (d'oh!).

However, I do know a *few* punk-minded types who *will* tolerate
*any* era Who.  They, like us, can't just "turn it off" after SELL OUT.
But they are the minority; most of the punk-minded only enjoy "early" Who.

I don't think Joey Ramone wore that Maximum R&B Who t-shirt because
he was really into WHO BY NUMBERS!  ;-o

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" starts tomorrow!  Sept. 28.  On PBS!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html