Who - pre Tommy

David Huntington huntington at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 27 08:21:26 CDT 2004

wrote:

> One meets these type of Who "fans" - people who like The Who
> *up until* TOMMY.

Schrade,

Yes, I met one of these a few years ago and it was quit frustrating. How can
you only like half the Who? Upon further examination, and getting a little
more about this person's musical taste, it chalked it up to really being
into the whole punk/pop art part of The Who. With Tommy onward, the Who got
a more mainstream following I gather, and that's when this type of fan
leaves them at the station. They, this person at least, is more drawn to the
humorous pop of the Who and less to the serious rock of the Who. Sort of how
commercial success scares off fans of college radio just for its own sake.

David