BEST I EVER HEARD

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 00:57:00 CDT 2004

In a message dated 9/25/2004 5:02:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> Let me put it this way, if you were going on a long trip without TV/DVD and
> could take either the IOW or LAL CD, which would you choose?  I don't know
> about Tanglewood.  We've only got 3 songs.  It could be great, but I doubt
> it matches Leeds.

Well, that's not really fair because the LAL recording quality is so much
better.  I guess that's naturally a consideration, but I don't agree about the
level of The Who's performance at IOW dropping after the first few songs.  If
anything, I thought it was the other way.  For example, the version of I'm Free
from IOW blows away the Leeds version.  Of course, the Magic Bus from Leeds
destroys IOW.  However, I give IOW the nod on YMB, Shakin All Over, Acid Queen,
and Christmas (Tommy can you heeeeeeeeeeeaaarrr me).  As for a trip taken with
the CDs, of course I choose Leeds because the recording sounds so good, but I
believe I do remember Pete or Roger saying that Leeds was a good show, but
that they had a number of better ones that year (not sure if IOW would be
included, but I bet it would).

Mc