Dylan Publishes Memoirs (no Who)

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 21:17:30 CDT 2004

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040926/people_nm/people_dylan_dc_2

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Singer-songwriter Bob Dylan (news) said he didn't
find the process of writing his new memoirs all "that splendid," according
to an article in the latest issue of Newsweek magazine.

"I'm used to writing songs," the 63-year-old creator of such '60s hits as
"Like A Rolling Stone" told the magazine. "And songs -- I can fill 'em up
with symbolism and metaphors. When you write a book like this, you gotta
tell the truth, and it can't be misinterpreted."

Dylan said he is proud of his book, "Chronicles, Vol. 1," published by Simon
& Schuster and excerpted in the magazine along with a rare interview. The
book goes on sale next week.

Dylan did not enjoy the process of writing it. "Lest we forget, while you're
writing, you're not living. What do they call it? Splendid isolation? I
don't find it that splendid."

Dylan banged out his book over three years on a manual typewriter. In it, he
describes how it felt to be called the conscience of the '60s generation.

"That was funny. All I'd ever done was sing songs that were dead straight
and expressed powerful new realities. I had very little in common with and
knew even less about a generation that I was supposed to be the voice of."

He writes that marrying and having children changed his life. "I found
myself (at my home) in Woodstock, vulnerable and with a family to protect.
If you looked in the press, though, you saw me being portrayed as anything
but that."

Dylan also took issue with the way some critics interpreted his lyrics. "I
was sick of the way my lyrics had been extrapolated, their meanings
subverted into polemic and that I had been anointed as the Big Bubba of
Rebellion...," he said.