Elvis Costello on The Who

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sat Sep 25 01:52:46 CDT 2004

> I never paid attention to the Who after "I Can See for Miles."
> I've never heard Tommy. I don't > own a copy of Who's Next...

One meets these type of Who "fans" - people who like The Who
*up until* TOMMY.  Keets would call them Pre-Modernists,
or some other such nonsense.  ;-o   (Paleo-who-ic?)

I've met several of this sort.  It's sometimes difficult to talk to
"these people."

You start conversing about The Who & they say they really don't
listen to any post-TOMMY Who.  They carry on about "Substi-
tute," "Boris The Spider," & SELL OUT.

It's like finding half a Who-freak to talk to.  You can't mention
anything post-TOMMY.  Sometimes, you can't mention TOMMY.

I stand there talking to "these people" but in my mind I'm scream-
ing, "QRADROPHENIA!"  "Love Ain't For Keeping!"  "Success
Story!"  "Sister Fucking Disco!"

How do you convert half a Who fan over to the other half?

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html