The BEST live Who EVER

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Sep 24 20:17:18 CDT 2004

> So I'll throw the challenge out: what would YOU say is
> the best?

Good question.  I cast my vote for LIVE AT LEEDS.
It is simply, IMO, the preeminent live Who material.

Are there better versions of "Young Man Blues" from
other shows?  Sure.  Were there other, more raucous
live concerts from that period?  Yes.

But, LAL is without a doubt the best-*sounding* of
all the great live Who recordings.  Better, I think, than
the Tanglewood material.  And better, I *know,* than
the IOW material.

Something came together for the LAL show.  Out-
standing performance & a once-in-a-lifetime sound
recording.

There's something intangible about the LAL recording.
(Going against my scientific principles!)  LAL just
*feels* good.  The sound pulls you into the hall some-
how.

The echoes, the jumping out of the drums, the gurgle
of OX's bass, the coagulated thickness of Pete's
guitar, the purity of Daltrey's vocals.....  I've never
heard a better live recording, & "My Generation" is,
IMO, the greatest moment ever captured on a
rock & roll stage.

With all this in mind, I was *very* surprised at the
sound on the Young Vic disc from the expanded
WHO'S NEXT reissue.

That captured live sound comes close to the LAL
magic, however, the performance, except for a handful
of the songs, doesn't.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html