Who's R&B

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 22:46:03 CDT 2004

> And then when you likened QUADROPHENIA to a Spinners
album & I got all freaked out.  ;-)

Scott:

Where was that, exactly?
More like EW&F, I'd say. Although I wouldn't mind
hearing a Who version of Rubberband Man.

> imaginary premise.  I mean, I guess maybe *the band*
might have enjoyed it.....for a while.  But would the
fans have liked that change?

Rather than a breakup? You figure it out. It's better
to burn out than it is to rust.

> The record company?

Probably, given that the 80's were a most R&B time.

> Would Pete have felt comfortable pigeon-holing his
writing in such a fashion?

Well, he WAS the one writing in an R&B fashion during
the post-Who era.

> Would Entwistle have been happy?

Listen to Dancing Master and ask the question again.

> If they *had* made a switch to R&B, I could see it
lasting for *one* album, with the band collapsing
shortly thereafter.

Ah, you're such a pessimist. What if it had been the
salvation of The Who? A great move in a new direction,
with hordes of new young bands following? Something to
substitute for Rap?
I don't see it as any different than the hundreds of
Rock musicians who turn to Blues after their
popularity has faded.

"I think there is some methodology in my travels."
   George "big words make me sound smart" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML