Who's R&B

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Sep 21 18:26:55 CDT 2004

> But the subject wasn't the influence..

I know, I know.  I was just reacting to some of your suggestions
as to which Who songs contained an R&B influence.  And then
when you likened QUADROPHENIA to a Spinners album & I
got all freaked out.  ;-)

> It was about "what if they'd gone in
> an R&B direction instead of breaking up?"

What if.......?  R&B.......?  I just can't see any upside to that
imaginary premise.  I mean, I guess maybe *the band* might
have enjoyed it.....for a while.  But would the fans have liked
that change?  The record company?

Would Pete have felt comfortable pigeon-holing his writing
in such a fashion?  Would Entwistle have been happy?

If they *had* made a switch to R&B, I could see it lasting for
*one* album, with the band collapsing shortly thereafter.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html