Speaking of Hendrix

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 13:12:03 CDT 2004

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20040918/ap_on_en_mu/hendrix_lost_recording

Tape of Hendrix Stockholm Concert Found

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Technicians at Sweden's public television have unearthed
an unexpected delight for music lovers — a complete original recording of a
Jimi Hendrix concert in Stockholm from 1969 on a tape long thought to have
been destroyed.

The unmarked tape was recently found stashed on a shelf deep inside the
station's enormous archives during a project to transfer archived material
from tape and film to digital, SVT spokeswoman Catarina Wilson said Friday.

"They looked through the tape and found it had some Jimi Hendrix," Wilson
said. "Then they saw it had a lot of Jimi Hendrix — the entire concert,
which is what makes this tape unique."

The black-and-white recording from Stockholm's concert hall was ordered
destroyed by a producer in 1969, a time when it was too expensive to keep
all raw footage, Wilson said.

Hendrix died in 1970.

Wilson said it was likely that one of the state-run network's workers,
perhaps a Hendrix fan, stashed it on the shelf, where it sat for 35 years
gathering dust.

Part of the 56-minute concert was broadcast on SVT in 1969, before the Jimi
Hendrix Experience disbanded, but it has never been shown in its entirety.
SVT is determining if it still has the rights to show the entire broadcast
of the concert.

"Of course we realize that this is great material that we would love to
show," Wilson said.