Who's R&B

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 08:36:01 CDT 2004

> QUAD strikes me as more operatic than R&B.

Keets:

Depends on the song. Besides, some R&B is quite
operatic, especially in the early 60's. Take the Ben
E. King song I Who Have Nothing, for instance.

> Does subject matter enter into this?

I'd say No. I think we're talking about musical styles
here. Since there's all types of subjects in all sorts
of musical styles, I'd say that would be an impossible
way to discuss it.

> Isn't R&B supposed to be about lust?
Would Pete's lyrics always be too deep for R&B?

Well, ask the Temptations when they're singing:

"Segregation
Domination
Demonstration
Integration
Aggrivation
Humiliation
Obligation to the nation
Ball of Confusion, Ball of Confusion
That's what your world is today"

> Again, I'm not saying The Who didn't pick up a lot
of technique from R&B--it's just that the end result
doesn't qualify as the source.

I never said they were the SOURCE. What started the
topic was Simon considering what the band would have
been like had they taken a more R&B road instead of
breaking up.

Oh, and thanks a lot...now I have no choice but to
listen to R&B at the store all day today.

"I think credibility is important."
    George "Osama No. 1 priority" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML