The Man Room reviews Boston DVD

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Sep 16 18:34:52 CDT 2004

> >Townsend's interview in
> >particular caught me by surprise. While I knew that he
> >wrote most of The Who's songs, he is not shy to let it
> >be known that he is who makes The Who what they are.
>
> Ouch.
> What's this about?
> Scott?

Well, Pete makes the case that he, now, is the only original
*musician* left in the band.  He also says that, by the luck
of fate, one of the two surviving members happens to be
the person who wrote the majority of the songs - which he
claims gives them more of a right to go on doing what they're
doing.  (In your face, Leaman!)

He also says that now the group is less a band & more a
"body of music."  And he feels less awkward performing
as The Who now than he did in the mid-70's when he
thought the band was becoming a parody of itself.

In another neat comment he says that for all those who say
that Zak is the reincarnation of Keith Moon he "can assure
you *he* *is* *not.*"  (He says this very emphatically.)
But he goes on to say that Zak, in is own way, sometimes
surpasses what Moon was able to do.

As for the new studio album (which Daltrey, in *his* inter-
view, says he hopes to have "in the can" by November),
Pete says he & Roger have two choices:  to attempt it with
the band they currently play with live, or to make it focus
more on just him & Roger by having them play with all sorts
of other musicians.

He thinks they'll go the route of using the regular band,
though, because doing it the other way would be too difficult
as he & Roger - though they're now solidly middle-aged -
still approach things from completely different angles & don't
just give in to each other's demands because of any mellow-
ing with age.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html