The Man Room reviews Boston DVD

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 06:07:26 CDT 2004

On line at:
http://www.themanroom.com/dvds_tmr.php?rop=tmr_review&id=285

The Who: Live in Boston

By Greg Necastro on August 31, 2004
The Who was one of the front running bands during the
'British Invasion' of the 1960's. Driven by guitarist
and songwriter Pete Townsend, The Who's legacy can be
defined by the many paths their music went down. The
Who's discography combines rock, pop, psychadelia,
R&B, and just about anything else that Townsend found
interesting. They even created the first rock opera,
Tommy (a story about a deaf, dumb, and blind boy). The
other members of The Who have equally carved out
places in music history. Roger Daltrey's distinctive
vocal styling is one of my personal favorites. John
Entwistle added some powerful bass riffs. Finally,
arguably the most well known member of the band and
one of rocks all-time greatest characters, Keith Moon
anchored the band on drums. Moon, as it is well known,
died in 1978 of a drug overdose at age 31.

Surprisingly, as The Who celebrates 40 years in music,
they actually haven't produced an original album since
1982. Since their original farewell tour in 1982, the
surviving members of The Who have gotten back together
numerous times to play and tour together. But, they
have never ventured into the studio to record new
material.

In 2002, shortly before touring, John Entwistle was
found dead in his hotel room. The concert filmed for
this DVD occurred near the end of that tour and was
the first performances with only two surviving
members.

Movie
The majority of the images focus on Daltrey and
Townsend, which makes sense. They are The Who and the
other players are merely supporting (well, not merely,
they are all talented musicians). For being in their
50's, they haven't really changed much, other than
aging. Townsend still plays with good energy, although
not, naturally, to his past jumping and guitar
smashing levels. Daltrey parading in an open shirt
made me nervous at first until I realized that the man
is in great shape and can pull off the look, unlike
some other, younger front men (i.e.. Vince Neil and
Jani Lane). Musically, Townsend hasn't lost his touch
and Daltrey's vocals are as powerful as ever.

The set list covers many of The Who's most popular
songs and has a nice, best of feel to it. The music of
The Who is ageless and still is great to hear 30-40
years after they were originally written. This
performance includes hit songs "Who Are You,"
"Eminence Front," "The Kids Are Alright," "My
Generation," and "Pinball Wizard."

Audio
Mixed in 5.1 is a plus. The tracks are clean and have
been mixed well.

Video
Straight forward concert footage and clean images. No
strange effects added in post production. The concert
hall's stage was brightly lit and it makes the
performs easily visible, even in far away shots.

Extras
Two separate interviews with Pete Townsend and Roger
Daltrey highlight the extras. Townsend's interview in
particular caught me by surprise. While I knew that he
wrote most of The Who's songs, he is not shy to let it
be known that he is who makes The Who what they are.
There is also an art gallery of John Entwistle
drawings and a photo gallery.

Add to ManRoom?
Some musical performers definitely stay around too
long and wind up embarrassing themselves in the later
years. The Who is not in that group. It's different
seeing only two original members and a supporting
cast, but it is an entertaining show. Long time fans
will not be disappointed and it wouldn't hurt the
younger crowd to give a viewing to this one.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com