(That's enough) White City

simon malia malias40 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:08:20 CDT 2004

Marcus Surrealius wrote:

>Didn't you get the impression that this material was
>more Who-like than the stuff on FD and IH? I did. I
>could imagine Daltrey singing Give Blood and Brilliant
>Blues particularly. Of course it would be the typical
>Who vocal trade-off:
>Rog: "It's time/To preach..."
>Pete: "The brilliant blues/I don't want to be
>frozen..."

Marcus added:
>I do, for one. Any of us could say that, but we're
>here to discuss and if everyone agreed it would be a
>retty boring list.

roots

Marcus resumed:
>Roots, it's fair to point out, that were still
>connected a mere 3 years earlier. Another Who
>connection!

Once again Mark and Scott, thanks for letting me add my own tuppence worth
to your discussion.

Mark, I'd certainly agree that the "White City" material sounded Who-like -
but I think more in the sense that this is a direction The Who *could* have
gone post-Moon, but didn't.

That 80s take on the 60s Motown/ R&B horn-driven pop-soul / rock sound was
one of the few things I liked about that decade of over-production. (Eg:
"Let Them All Talk" / "The Only Flame in Town" by Elvis Costelo - these
tracks worked, and esp live, but crikey, there's a LOT of busy production
going on...)

Judging from how The Who sounded on the 79 tour ( I only saw 'em once, at
Stafford Bingley Hall, but they were bloody amazing) with the horns etc,
it's a direction they could have persued profitably.

A lot of purists on this list and others will howl their disapproval of that
notion, I'm sure, but FWIW, the stripped-down basic four-piece Who was a
dead duck without Keith AT THAT TIME, at least IMHO.

So yes, I'd liked to have heard RD, JAE and Rabbit let loose on the White
City material...

And Scott - that really does wrap up my take on the thing, so, yup - what's
next???

Simon