White City

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Sep 13 20:01:34 CDT 2004

> Scott, on that point - check out the sleeve-notes to "Who's Missing" (issued
> 1985): to wit - "Life is quieter now in 1985, maybe even happier. But
> listening to WHO'S MISSING I realise that many of us will always be -
> missing The Who."

<snip>

Some great insights & stories, Simon.  Thanks for chiming in.

Let me try to wrap up my side of this discussion by saying that..........
what I originally was taking issue with was Mark's initial comment
in his admittedly interesting take on WHITE CITY.  Mark said:

"From the first time I heard White City, Pete's first post-breakup
solo album, I felt it was Pete commenting on the breakup of the band."

This struck me as odd, as it might strike you, naked & taken out
of context as I have quoted him.  But, what I have learned through
continual discussion is that, of course Mark doesn't think WHITE
CITY is an album about the breakup of the band, but that its *songs*
have elements in them which one can interpret as being *influenced
by* that culminating period in Pete's, & The Who's, career.

And while I may still have issues with the *degree* to which WC's
songs are about that period in Who history, I do feel the interpretation
is valid  - as a sort of intriguing, thought-provoking angle from which
to view the writing.

But I still stick to my statement that Pete is a crafty enough writer
not to necessarily have to rely on his immediate, emotional, 'this-is
what-I'm-feeling-right-now' songs - in order to construct one of
his musical concept pieces.

He *can* write, & write well, with simply the shell of a storyline, or
an as yet to be fine-tuned concept, in mind.  That isn't beyond his
capabilities.  And that's how I think the majority, if not all, of WC
was written.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html