White City

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sat Sep 11 03:27:40 CDT 2004

> While I haven't had the chance to re-listen to White City since I read Marcus's
> interpretation, I will allow that while the liner notes of the album pointedly refer
> to this other character and his story, there may be more of Pete's underlying
> feelings coming through.

I don't doubt that for a second, David.  I've already said that WHITE CITY
gave Pete the chance to engage in some introspection via the character of "Jim,"
& also via the character which represents Pete....."Pete Fountain."

If anything, the Pete Fountain character (Pete) is stuck in a rut of continuing
on with "the band."  This, juxtaposed against the "rut" that Jim is stuck in -
White City.

No one's leaving *anything* in WHITE CITY (as Mark would have you
believe.)  Pete's not leaving the band; and Jim's not leaving White City.

This album's about survival.  Not quittings & new beginnings.  Or lamentations
about the past.  It's about being stuck in your rut & dealing wit it.  Consciously
or unconscioscsly.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html