Star Search winner sure plays a mean pinball

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 06:23:25 CDT 2004

>From The Reading Advocate at:
http://www2.townonline.com/reading/artsLifestyle/view.bg?articleid=81688

Star Search winner to perform in title role of 'Tommy'
Thursday, September 9, 2004

Jake Simpson will appear in the title role of The
Who's "Tommy," the opening production in Stoneham
Theatre's 2004-2005 Mainstage Series. Simpson is best
known as the winner of the new CBS series "Star
Search" hosted by Arsenio Hall. Since then, he's been
propelled into the national spotlight.

     "When we selected 'Tommy' to open our season, we
had no intention of casting a celebrity," said Weylin
Symes, Stoneham Theatre's Artistic Director. "But Jake
has so much talent, energy, and enthusiasm, and he
proved himself to be the best person for the role.
He's going to bring down the house."

     Sony music released Jake Simpson's first CD in
spring 2003, and his new single "We'll Know" from A&M
Records has just debuted. Over the past three months,
Jake has co-presented at "The Academy of Country Music
Awards" on CBS; headlined at a black tie gala to honor
Shoshana Johnson, the first African-American POW in
U.S. history; and given a featured performance on
"Oprah" alongside Stevie Wonder, whose music he
credits as one of his greatest influences.

     The Who's "Tommy" first debuted in 1969 as an
album, but quickly spawned a concert tour, ballet,
movie, and the Broadway musical which received three
Tony Awards for its 1993 premiere. "Tommy" tells the
story of a young boy silenced by the trauma of abuse
and murder who rediscovers his voice in the odd
setting of a pinball arcade. It's a high-energy
musical with a cast of twenty-four that features
spectacular production numbers and some of The Who's
greatest hits including "Pinball Wizard," "Acid
Queen," and "Amazing Journey."

      Tickets for The Who's "Tommy," directed by
Robert Jay Cronin are now available. Prices are
$32/adults; $27/seniors (62+); and $16/students (under
18 or with a valid college I.D.) Performances begin
Thursday, Sept. 9, and continue until Sunday, Oct. 3,
on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m.; Fridays at 8
p.m.; Saturdays at 4 and 8 p.m.; and Sundays at 2 p.m.
For tickets or more information, call the box office
at 781-279-2200 or visit StonehamTheatre.org.

     Stoneham Theatre creates an artistic home that
nurtures emerging artists, engages new audiences, and
explores the human experience through vital,
affecting, and beautiful theatre. It is a professional
Equity company just minutes north of downtown Boston
with easy access to I-93 and I-95 and free parking
right across the street. Stoneham Theatre is the only
company founded within the past ten years ranked by
the "Boston Business Journal" among the area's ten
largest performing arts organizations.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!