White City

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Sep 9 17:50:12 CDT 2004

> Clearly the ALBUM isn't about the breakup, but just as
> clearly many of the songs are.

I still have my doubts.  I think the songs were written *for*
the album, with its story & themes in mind.

> Um...it was what was going on in his life? Pete HAS
> been known to write about the things going on in his
> life, you know.

I'm not buying that.  Pete was finished with The Who in
'82-'83.  Are you telling me he was still dwelling on it in
'84-'85?

> Why would Pete celebrate his freedom?
> The question you SHOULD be asking is: why WOULDN'T
> he, if The Who was such a burden?

So he was celebrating his freedom by dwelling on what he
had just escaped?  I'm not buying that either.

> You make it seem like he's unhappy about the breakup,

No, *you're* making it seem like that.  I'm saying that in
'84-'85 Pete wanted nothing to do with The Who.  You're
saying he was composing songs about the breakup of the
band.

> when instead (as I pointed out) the songs are about freedom
> FROM the band.

Yet you say they're still *about* the band?  I won't buy it,
Mark.  I just won't buy it.  I won't buy your Magic Bus. (?)

> Certainly something Pete would want to immerse himself in.

Freedom from the band by dwelling on the band?  Pass.

> > That's what WHITE CITY is about.
>
> But not what all of the songs were about.

I disagree.  I think the songs were written specifically for the
storyline of WHITE CITY.  I can't believe he plucked some
songs about the breakup of the band & stuck them in his
new project concerning a completely unrelated story.

> > It was actually a neat way for Pete to step outside
> himself & wallow in some self-loathing.  Much like
> PSYCHODERELICT.
>
> Like Who By Numbers, too.

I disagree again!  WBN is mostly first-person introspection.
In WHITE CITY & PSYCHODERELICT, Pete redirects
his introspection by channeling it through other fictional
characters.

> Well, certainly he had to have SOME regrets about breaking
> up the band.

Maybe, but not until much, much later.  Maybe the mid-'90s.
Pete wanted out bad in '82-'83.  So he quit.  I simply cannot
believe he was regretting that decision as early as '84-'85.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html