White City as the breakup of The Who

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Wed Sep 8 17:10:49 CDT 2004

> From the first time I heard White City, Pete's first
> post-breakup solo album, I felt it was Pete commenting
> on the breakup of the band.

An interesting, albeit tenuous, interpretation.  Somehow I just
don't think Pete would write an album about the breakup of the
band & disguise it as a poignant tale about a solitary, down-
on-his luck bloke from White City.

And why, after finally leaving the band behind, would Pete
want to create an album dwelling on.....the band?  You really
think the "break up" of the band (Pete leaving, actually) moved
him so much that he decided to expend his new-found energy
immersing himself in thoughts about the band he just gladly quit?
I think not.

WHITE CITY is about one of the people from Pete's old
neighborhood (changed to White City) & how that person now
relates to him.

In the album liner notes, the character Jim says:

"You see, he (Pete) ran away to solve his problems.  I didn't.
I stayed & fought at home.  The pursuit of heroism, success, &
homecomings had given Pete nothing as far as I could see.
Being about five years younger than him, I reckon I had the
edge.  You'd never catch me in a trench - or on a stage."

That's what WHITE CITY is about.

It was actually a neat way for Pete to step outside himself &
wallow in some self-loathing.  Much like PSYCHODERELICT.

- SCHRADE in Akron

"Origins" is coming to PBS Sept. 28.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/about.html