Rachel's cd

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:15:56 CDT 2004

I bought my copy of this from Barnes and Noble to get the bonus track
"Jigsaw" that Rachel and Pete have co-written.  Rachel has a delicate voice
and I think Simon's production is first rate.  He's made her sound like a
pro.  She's backed by the best, I guess, which really makes a difference.
Also, she plays piano noticibly well.

The CD is NOT going to attract the hard-rocking variety of Whofans.  It's
very low key and relaxed, the kind of thing you'd play in the background
while you're doing something thoughtful.  I haven't gotten a chance to
listen to the whole thing, but I do like "Ghost in Your Room" which features
Pete on electric guitar.

"Jigsaw" doesn't really turn me on.  It does sound like Pete's music, but
the range and monotone quality that his songs feature lately doesn't suit
Rachel's voice like the other songs on the album--I almost think Pete should
always sing his own latterday compositions.  I was a little put off by the
too-obvious Who/Pete reference in the written lyrics, but it sounds okay
when she sings it.  I have no opinion on who's written the lyrics to this
one.