Pete's tribute to Hendrix

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:08:29 CDT 2004

I love Hendrix, almost the same as I love Who.... nowadays, the same... I
have burned out a CD with my old Hendrix's live LPs. I think it got perfect,
beginning with Are You Experienced, passing through Hey Joe, Like a Rolling
Stone, Johnny B Goode, Lover Man, Purple Haze, Red House, Who Knows, Machine
Gun I, Stone Free, Fire, Rock Me Baby and finishing with Wild Thing... Just
perfect, and so good to hear while traveling... And I think that I
understood what Pete was saying in his tribute... the music is so fluid, so
loud, so inventive, and his voice is perfect, black and deep, and he is
singing while playing his crazy guitar, that fucking Hendrix... what a
fucking genius... he got back what white men tried to steal... the black
music of blues, rhythm & blues and rock and roll...
Sloppy?! Pete is sloppy, but not Hendrix...
As an article by Graeme Pattingale and Jeffrey Aarons says, in
htpp://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/ecjbjhpt.htm, Hendrix actually had an
effect over Pete... after Hendrix... "Pete's response was to get more
physical and louder - the wind milling arms began to be a guitar sound
effect as well as theatrical. Also his song writing became more adventurous,
Moony got even more manic and the thunderous bass of the Ox held it all
together. The three bands (Who, Cream and Hendrix) were in total
competition.”

Tom