Pete's tribute to Hendrix

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:48:09 CDT 2004

Very touching the tribute Pete Townshend gave sometime ago to Jimi Hendrix,
calling him the greatest guitarist of all time. In his tribute, Pete says
that Jimi had a kind of alchemist's ability playing guitar, as if the music
was actually coming out of the end of his fingers. Says that Jimi build the
bridge between the blues and modern sounds, a kind of Syd
Barrett-meets-Townshend sound, in a wall of screaming guitar sound that U2
popularized. According to Pete, when Jimi was on the stage, he physically
changed, became incredibly graceful and beautiful, although out of stage he
was a very unremarkable-looking guy with an old and dirty military jacket.
After a gig, when he transcended in a high form of eroticism, almost
spiritual in quality, he gradually descended out of that, and his incredibly
colorful energized face returned to his shy and insecure normal state. Pete
is very forthright when says that Hendrix make Pete feels like he was
robbed, that his band were a silly little group, trying to constructed ideas
and images in a art-school manner, acting as the whole thing didn't really
matter. But not Jimi, he arrived with proper music, with lasting and
innovative music. Pete says: “with Jimi, I didn't have any envy, ‘cause I
never had any sense that I could ever come close. He had a power that almost
sobered you up if you were on an acid trip. He was bigger than LSD”.
See it all in http://www.zx2c4.com/tributes/hendrix/

p.s.: did you notice, that no great guitarist ever has talked about the
manner Pete affects him?