John Ondrasik's private Quadrophenia

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:12:34 CDT 2004

Here an excerpt from a feature/interview with John Ondrasik of Five for
Fighting, who sang "Superman" at CFNYC.

http://www.netmusiccountdown.com/inc/artist.php?artist=Five+For+Fighting

As a result, The Battle For Everything is a bristling mix of contemporary
emotions and classic techniques. It affirms the importance of context as
well as song, so that piano-driven rock, acoustic guitar pieces, ambitious
structures and concise musical packages, join into one listening experience.
"When I was a kid I could put on Dark Side of the Moon, turn up the sound in
my headphones, lie down in the dark, and go away," Ondrasik remembers. "I
wanted that experience again, and so Bill and I were ambitious to the point
of absurdity. If we wanted drama, we'd get a thirty-piece orchestra. If we
wanted a rock edge, we went after it with reckless abandonment. It was like
doing my own private Quadrophenia."