Woodstock Boot

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Oct 21 18:27:42 CDT 2004

> I've never heard a boot of Woodstock which was even
> what I'd consider decent. They're usually hissy and
> mono, and sound "distant" (if you know what I mean).

Distant?  The Woodstock boots I've heard have an immediate,
up-front sound, IMO.  Like you're right there on stage.  The
vocals are loud, the bass is loud, & usually the drums & guitar
are OK but could be louder.

I know what you mean by the hiss, though.  There's a high-end
buzz on most Woodstock boots & part of it is the hum of the
stage amps, which are very audible.

The best version I've heard is the WOODSTOCK 1969 boot
(which I mentioned earlier - 2 discs including some muddy
Young Vic outtakes).  This version seems a bit crisper than my
other CD boot, & the guitar sounds louder & clearer.

I *would* call it decent & I listen to it quite often.

The other version I have on CD is called LIVE IN WOOD-
STOCK & it's pretty good but I like the other one better.

The first Woodstock boot I got was long ago & it was on vinyl.
It's called STARRING THE WHO & has dreadful sound.

> Is that one stereo or mono?

Mono.  Someday, I'll get around to running it through my
equalizer to clean it up a bit & take out some of that high-end.

What versions of this boot do you have, Mark?

- SCHRADE in Akron