Pete reviews John Kerry

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 07:01:30 CDT 2004

>From press release at:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041018/lam074_1.html

Explosive John Kerry Tape From 1960's Surfaces!
Monday October 18, 5:47 am ET

Newly-Discovered Tape Reveals Kerry's High-School
Rock-Band as Pioneers!

Kerry's First 'Band Of Brothers' Wins Praise From
Rock-Star Pete Townshend!

NEW YORK, Oct. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- A long-forgotten
audiotape of John Kerry's high-school rock-band -- The
Electras -- recorded 43 years ago at a school dance
has just been discovered in a Californian vault. It
reveals the young John Kerry and his teenage bandmates
unwittingly creating probably the first-ever recorded
example of the psychedelic effect of "feedback" -- the
audio distortion made popular by Pete Townshend and
Jimi Hendrix in the mid-1960's.
Townshend -- the legendary Who guitarist -- has
listened to the newly-discovered live recordings of
Kerry's band and pronounced himself a fan. He even
offered the band a helpful tip!

"The band sounds great to me. But the drummer is
playing too many notes!"

The tape differs from the band's previously-discovered
1961 studio album. The 30-minute tape featuring 10
songs was recorded October 21st 1961 at The Concord
Academy -- an all-girls school in New Hampshire. The
last song -- an instrumental called "Rawhide" -- ends
in the unmistakable sound of 'feedback.'

Kerry's guitarist schoolmate Larry Rand recalls:

"The show was going well -- suddenly there was a
terrible electronic sound from Kerry's amplifier! We
were mortified! This was long before psychedelia and
it wasn't a sound garage bands tried to make! But
Kerry stayed cool. Even then he was a visionary! The
rest of us were trying to impress schoolgirls and he
was experimenting with psychedelic feedback!"

The newly-discovered tapes can be heard free-of-charge
on the Electras' new website:
http://www.TheElectras.com which also offers CDs of
the band's 1961 studio album.

The band is planning a reunion in 2005 to celebrate
its 45th anniversary. They hope it will be at Kerry's
Inauguration.

Adds co-founder Jon Prouty:

"It started 45 years ago with just us four. The
classic garage-band lineup of two guitars, bass and
drums. Over the years we had 13 different members. But
Kerry was our only bass player. He was our Paul
McCartney! In a way we were just like the Beatles. We
were doing fine as a band till our bass player left to
launch a solo career!"

"Kids are using the instrumental tracks we recorded in
1961 as backing for their own new songs! Just to say
that their record features John Kerry playing bass!"
(Details: http://www.RockWithKerry.com)

     *  FULL MEDIA RELEASE
     *  PHOTOS
     *  AUDIO CLIPS