Riff raff

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Oct 12 18:30:15 CDT 2004

> > I certainly would.
>
> Me too.

So, you *agree* the intro to "Can't Explain" is a riff?
I thought by your phrasing of the question you were
implying you didn't.

Does "Baba O'Riley" have a riff?  I'm referring to the
descending three-note chord pattern as introduced
by the piano.  Is that "Baba's" riff?  Doesn't sound
right to call that a riff.  More like a melody....

Let's think of Who songs *without* riffs.  ("Hooks,"
I think, is a helpful synonym.)  Or Who songs *with*
riffs!  I don't care!

"Bargain?"  I'd say no.  No riff.

"Punk Meets the Godfather?"  Yeah, I'd say that has
a riff.

"Tattoo?"  Er.....no.  No riff.  A melody.

"I'm Free?"  Definite riff.

"We're Not Gonna Take It?"  No riff.

"Love Ain't For Keeping?"  No riff.

"Substitute?"  Big time riff!!