Riffin' Motherriffer!

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 18:05:48 CDT 2004

> "It's hard alright-hard to believe that the most
exciting rock band
in the world was reduced to churning out monotonous
electro pop, and
harder still to swallow Townshend's willingness to
sound like nothing
more than a third rate Eighties Clapton.

Todd:

It's a good point...

> I was referring to the anti-proficiency policy (?)
of some bands during the early stages of Punk.  And
their lack of "cock-rock" guitar solos.

Scott:

It appeared you meant "from then on." Then again, even
as the Punks were in their heyday Eddie Van Halen was
changing the way Rock bands would play lead.

> opposite.  Instrumental proficiency & cock-rock
guitar solos
were the bread & butter of hair metal bands.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they were
instrumentally proficient...they were competent.

> Jam, The
Buzzcocks, The Stranglers, Wire,......and many
others.)

Yes, I agree completely. The...JAM...RULES!

> If you're talking about the guitar riff *of a song*
- which I think
we should be - I agree with English Lad:  the riff has
to be repetitive.

You and your damned rules. Sheesh.

> Just like the "Smoke On The Water" riff is properly
played with
chords.

It is.

> I mean, you *could* play it using single notes (who
hasn't?), but you could do the same with the "Can't
Explain" "riff."

You CAN. I used to do it all of the time, and with
many early Kinks' songs too.

> Me, too.  Mark's confusing his riffs with his licks!

Hey! LICK...never mind.

"See, without the tax relief package, there would have
been a deficit."
       George "I ran out of fingers" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML