Riff raff

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 08:39:01 CDT 2004

> That's just your "anti-punk" bias talking.  The days
> of '76-'77 are long gone.

Scott:

You're forgetting the Hair Metal of the 80's.

> *I* consider a "riff" to be a given instrumental,
> repetitive phrase by an instrument that drives,

Lew:

I understand. In MY definition, it doesn't have to be
repetitive but is otherwise the same.

> but, hell, what can y'll
> expect from a guitar
> player who prefers RIFF based Rock Songs over other
> styles.

I expect what you give. Discussion! BTW, you didn't
answer my question about power chord-based songs.
Would you call I Can't Explain's driving power chords
a "riff?" It's repetitive.

"I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're
going to have a draft."
   George "two out of three ain't bad" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML