Guitar solos

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sun Oct 10 17:36:43 CDT 2004

> Did I mention that guitar solos seem out of style?

You've been saying that for years!  What rock bands aren't
employing guitar solos?

> I gather it's seen as a sell-out to become so technically
> profficient.  Or something.

That's just your "anti-punk" bias talking.  The days of '76-'77
are long gone.  And even then the less technically proficient
yobos of that era weren't adverse to having a go now & then
& letting rip a sloppy but passionate guitar solo.

I guess some people have different ideas about what constitutes
a "guitar solo."  (We always get hung up on definitions!)

To some, a guitar solo means a long Santana-like or Clapton-
like self-indulgence.  I happen to have a broader definition.

One of my favorite guitar solos of all time is the eight bars of
solo-like strumming by Buddy Holly in "Peggy Sue."  (Very
reminiscent of Pete's style, BTW.)  *That's* a solo, too!

Or, think of the little solo Pete does in "Baba O'Riley," right
before the "teenage wasteland" part.  *That's* a solo, too.

It's only the most fringe elements of the rock genre that *com-
pletely* shun the guitar solo.  And I certainly don't see that as
some all-encompassing trend, affecting all of modern rock.

- SCHRADE in Akron