The BEST live Who EVER

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 20:22:57 CDT 2004

> Post a review, Mark.  I'm strongly tempted.

Keets:

It sounds like Green Day. I'm not too impressed. I've
heard better songs about Bush, for instance by Pearl
Jam.

> If you'll notice, the "thicker" sound seems to occur
> in between numbers when the band engages in stage
> banter.  Then, shortly after the song starts, the
> "thinner" sound will emerge.

Scott:

Yeah, I mentioned that.

> It's almost as if someone (with access to the
> recording
> gear) is hitting a switch which cuts out the *stage*
> recording microphones whenever the band starts
> talking in between songs.  When that happens, it
> sounds as if only far away ambience mics are engaged

Sounds possible. But why?

> a whole lot clearer, if not thinner, as you say.

There's not as much bass, not as much as I'm used to
from live Who.

> up with what's called a "gate," which automatically
> accomplishes the above, depending on sound levels.

I'm familiar with gates, but don't see what would
trigger it. Not volume, in this case.

And then...why isn't it present on the three tracks on
Max R&B if they don't have a clean copy? The ones
there sound pretty damned clean to me.

> Anyway, they really do need to release as much
pro-quality footage of this show as they've got.

Jim:

YES!

> The boot is a copy of the DVD footage.

Bruce:

But then...where's the DVD footage come from? They
didn't have them in 1970!!!!

> may have changed in the meantime.  It should be
> noted a separate 8 track
> recording mixed by John was used for the audio on
> the DVD.

Stop it! That's like reading the music fan's
equivalent of porno!

"Osama bin Laden isn't going to determine how we
defend ourselves."
  George "9/11!!! 9/11!!! 9/11!!!" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML