"Another Brick in the Wall" Royalties (No Who)

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:57:21 CST 2004

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=6&u=/ap/20041126/ap_en_mu/britain_the_wall

Agent Says Kids From 'Wall' Owed Royalties

Fri Nov 26, 2:31 PM ET

LONDON - Members of the children's chorus who sang on Pink Floyd's
anti-authoritarian 1979 hit "Another Brick in the Wall" are owed thousands
in payment, a royalties agent said Friday.

Peter Rowan said he was representing one of the group, Peter Thorpe, in a
bid for unpaid royalties. Rowan said he hoped other members of the group
would join the claim for royalties from a fund set up to compensate session
musicians.

Two dozen students from Islington Green School in north London sang on the
chart-topping track from the album "The Wall," which was recorded at a
nearby studio in 1979.

The song attracted controversy for the chorus sung by the children: "We
don't need no education/We don't need no thought control/No dark sarcasm in
the classroom/Teachers, leave them kids alone."

"It was seen as being quite improper, and I think it was raised in
Parliament that children should have been used for this," said the school's
current head teacher, Trevor Averre-Beeson.

"The Wall" has sold more than 23 million copies and is the third
best-selling album of all time, according to the Recording Industry
Association of America (news - web sites).

The school received a platinum disc and 1,000 pounds in return for the
children's efforts, but the pupils were not paid.

Rowan said the singers could claim money from a fund established in 1997 to
give session musicians a percentage of royalties from broadcasts.

"It's a legal right and the money is building up," Rowan said.

"There's probably around 5,000 or 6,000 pounds there already, so they would
get a few hundred each."