Spanish

hare at optonline.net hare at optonline.net
Fri Nov 26 20:43:19 CST 2004

Alan, and co.,  re:

> And what is with Bono going, "Uno, dos, tres, cattorce (sp?)"?  One,
> two, three, fourteen?  What the hell is that?  Nonsensical, I say.

At first, I thought it was Italian for "four", and I hated it -- not
least because on the iPod commercial when Bono says "catorce" he waves
his hand in a circle in front of his face, which seems to be the
universal signal for "I'm now speaking Italian".  But then I found out
it's Spanish for "fourteen", and while I'm still not crazy about the
hand-waving thing, I feel better about the whole sequence.  To me it's
going against the expectation of "uno, dos, tres, cuatro" meaning
"look, I'm so cool I can speak directly to my Hispanic brothers in
their language".  Instead, he throws even his Hispanic brothers a curve
by counting "1, 2, 3, 14" so they too can think "WTF?" along with
everyone else who's run into postmodernism.  Or maybe I think about
these things too much.>>

Depending on how you count them u
p, "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is U2's fourteenth album.

Also, it is the return of their producer Steve Lillywhite, who has now produced album numbers 1, 2, 3 and 14.

I am the walrus.

Jason