Who live backing vox

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Nov 26 11:46:48 CST 2004

> Let's be honest.  The Who's live backing vocals have always been horrible.

I'm with Colorado Jim on this one, Mc.  Your statement is too sweeping &
can be easily disproved by the R&R Circus performance of "A Quick One,"
to name only one example.

But, there did seem to be a significant downturn in the execution of the backing
vocals from the mid-'70s onward - *on certain songs.*  (Hard for Pete to really
mess up his backing vocals on, say, WGFA, for example.)

I remember first hearing the backing vocals on "See Me, Feel Me" from the
'73 KBFH show & cringing.  John was way too loud & giving a weird, some-
what off-key emphasis each time he said, "I...."  ("I get the music....,"  "I climb
the mountain....," etc.)  I remember thinking, "Why is he singing it like that?"

So, let's amend your statement to read, "The Who's live backing vocals have
*sometimes* been horrible."  *That* I can agree with.

- SCHRADE in Akron