Vertigo

Sigel, James (N-CSC) james.sigel at lmco.com
Fri Nov 26 09:43:56 CST 2004

>well, still. what's so bad about "vertigo" and that?

Well, even if you get over the initial terror, there's still the nausea
and disorientation.  :-)

>Let's be honest.  The Who's live backing vocals have always been
horrible.

Good God!  (Kneeling before the Keith Moon/John Entwistle memorial...)
He didn't mean it.  He didn't know what he was saying.  There, now that
I've saved your Who soul, I must state that I strongly disagree.  I
thought that the vocals on IOW were spectacular.  Not in a Crosby,
Stills, Nash and Young sort of way, but excellent for an in-your-face,
hard rocking band like The Who.  I think the backing vocals are what
makes Tommy so grand too.  Ox's falsettos blow me away every time.  And
the snarl in the harmonies of Eyesight to the Blind.  That's great
stuff.  And what would Listening to You be like with no backing vocals?
I shudder to think of it.

But there 'is' plenty of evidence of some rather bad backing vocals in
the cataloge too.  I've always passed off the occasional "bum note" to
the rawness of The Who.  I like my Who raw and tough; kinda like my
steak.

Jim in Colorado