Spanish

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Nov 24 23:32:13 CST 2004

> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:54:40 -0500
> From: Sroundtable at aol.com
>
> NOT A CHANCE.  The U2 album is getting more promotion via those
> I-Pod/I-tunes commercials than any album I have ever seen in my life.
> Those spots are saturating the airwaves.  I have grown to hate them.
> And what is with Bono going, "Uno, dos, tres, cattorce (sp?)"?  One,
> two, three, fourteen?  What the hell is that?  Nonsensical, I say.

At first, I thought it was Italian for "four", and I hated it -- not
least because on the iPod commercial when Bono says "catorce" he waves
his hand in a circle in front of his face, which seems to be the
universal signal for "I'm now speaking Italian".  But then I found out
it's Spanish for "fourteen", and while I'm still not crazy about the
hand-waving thing, I feel better about the whole sequence.  To me it's
going against the expectation of "uno, dos, tres, cuatro" meaning
"look, I'm so cool I can speak directly to my Hispanic brothers in
their language".  Instead, he throws even his Hispanic brothers a curve
by counting "1, 2, 3, 14" so they too can think "WTF?" along with
everyone else who's run into postmodernism.  Or maybe I think about
these things too much.

> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:59:55 EST
> From: JOELTLE515 at aol.com
>
> and what's wrong with bono
> saying "unos, dos, tres, cattorce?" what about "one, two three's
> quatro" on
> "wooly bully"?

That's "uno, dos, one, two, tres, cuatro" at the start of WB.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967