Better Off Not Live

Sigel, James (N-CSC) james.sigel at lmco.com
Tue Nov 23 15:23:07 CST 2004

>Maybe it's to mask Roger's flaws
>on his screams or something, but it isn't working for me.  However,
Pete's
>guitar work in live LROM versions is spectacular and quite a departure
from the
>studio.

LROM is a strange live song for The Who.  Each and every live version
I've HEARD, seems to be lacking (excepting Pete's always wonderful
guitar work).  The recordings don't really do justice to Roger's voice
or Roger's voice doesn't do justice to the recording, I don't know.  But
LIVE and in person - in attendance - that's a whole different ballgame.
I've seen Roger sing it in person probably eight or nine times and each
time, I get goosebumps.  But when I hear the recording...  I don't get
it.  Why is it different?

>And let's not forget "You Better, You Bet."  No live version has topped
the studio
>version of that song, either.

Scott, really?  I'm the opposite; I like the live versions but the
studio version of YBYB is my least favorite Who song of all.  But you're
the guy who doesn't like the E-jam instrumental in Amazing
Journey/Sparks too.  I meant to ask you why you don't like that segue.
How come?  Personally, I really love that segment leading up to Sparks.
Some boots I've heard Pete plays it safe, but for the most part, he
tears loose.  What don't you like about it?

>I sure have.  The best live band of all time.  Period.

I know we're biased here, but as objectively as I can get, I still can't
find a live band that comes remotely close.  Can anyone else?  There are
a lot of great live bands out there (past and present; U2, Yes, Los
Lobos, Kinks, Foo Fighters, Gabriel) but can anyone think of a band that
can touch The Who live?  I really can't.

Jim in Colorado