Live Who vs studio who

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 19:12:26 CST 2004

In a message dated 11/21/2004 4:36:07 PM Central Standard Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

>  What I had in mind was
> more like Love Reign O'er Me.  They attempt to play it more or less as the
> original, but it completely lacks the impact of the Quad version.

I disagree about the live impact not being up to the studio version.  The
impact live is really moving, IMHO.  The problem with the line LROM is that Roger
struggles mightily with those low opening lines.  If you listen to a recent
live version he's noticeably off pitch.  I also don't like the backing vocals
they have Simon doing on the big "LOOOOOVE!!!!"  He does this descending note
scale behind Roger that I'm just not digging.  Maybe it's to mask Roger's flaws
on his screams or something, but it isn't working for me.  However, Pete's
guitar work in live LROM versions is spectacular and quite a departure from the
studio.

> The other song that bugs me is I'm Free.  The live versions don't even sound
>
> like the same guitar riff to me.  Now watch some guitar player tell me I'm
> full of shit. Believe me, I KNOW I'm full of shit.  That's what I'm hear
> for.  Educate me!
>
> Jim M

Try this.  Listen to the studio version (tends to be sort of soft, almost
acoustic-sounding), then listen to the IOW live version, which is the best live
AND overall version of I'm Free.  Riff is the same as the studio but is loud
and full of distortion.  It's a true hard rock, in your face song live.  Roger
was also extremely aggressive with it at IOW.  Now, listen to any of the 1975
and after versions and the riff has changed noticeably.  This is the riff
eventually used in the stage version of Tommy.  I can't remember if the movie
version reflected this change or not.  I think Pete changed it just because he was
bored with the old way.  You know how he loves to change his rhythm riffs.
For this proposition, see Behind Blue Eyes from studio vs Live 2000 and after.
The rhythm to the kick-in part is clearly different.

Mc