It's Hard

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 08:20:05 CST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "L. Bird"

> I think Pete looks lovely.  :)  Thirty-five is such a wonderful age.  It's
> old enough to have character in the face and young enough to still be
> beautiful.

It can be, but it wasn't kind to Pete.  Fashion had a lot to do with it,
obviously.  I know that was Pete's sober period, but he looks more strung
out there than ever, as someone mentioned here not too long ago.  When I saw
them that year I was 16 and I really felt like they were OLD.  Now I'm as
old as they were then, and they're ancient, but they seam much, much younger
to me.

>>That's the same show as
> The Quiet One [Face Dances] and Twist and Shout [Box Set], right?  Yet
> LROM
> has that "thin" sound I'm talking about.  Anyway, I think it's one of
> their
> greatest songs and worst stage numbers.
>
> Erm.  I'm not sure what versions of these songs you're talking about.
> John did sometimes sing these live.  You're sure it's not John?

I'm sure those songs *are* John.  I'm talking about the band as a whole
sounding thinner.

> Actually Roger still had quite a range at the end of the nineties, though
> he seems to have given up a lot of the high notes now.  I agree that he's
> compensating very well.  The songs aren't as showy as they were, maybe,
> but they still rock.

The Who didn't do "showy" very well, anyway.  At least not in the big
arena/stadium kind of way then were trying to do then and that the Rolling
Stones are masters of.  No, their showiness was at a more personal, mic
swinging, arm twirling level.  Could you imagine how silly it would look to
see a band smash their gear to pieces from the back of a 60,000 seat
stadium!

Jim M