Rolling Stone

Nelson9792 at aol.com Nelson9792 at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 23:33:23 CST 2004

In a message dated 11/18/2004 12:17:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:
Bob Dylan's 1965 classic Like A Rolling Stone has been
voted the best song of all time, according to a poll
conducted by Rolling Stone magazine.
OK… I like Dylan well enough. I have a smattering of his albums and have seen
him live a few times. I still have to wonder what objective standards they
used to make this determination. On what basis is this the greatest song ever?

Lyrics? Maybe.
Musical composition? Not even close.
Guitar playing / Instrumetation / Virtuosity? Not a chance.
Singing / Vocal performance? Please…
Arrangement? No.
Production? No way.

(And of course Rolling Stone, always suffering from “limited perspective
syndrome”, seems to equate “Greatest Song OF ALL TIME” with “Greatest Song from
the last few decades,” ignoring all of the great jazz, classical, etc. music
they like to pretend doesn't exist.)

--Mike