It's Hard

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:24:50 CST 2004

>Is that the Giants Stadium show, with Roger in the silver suit?  And, could
Pete have looked any worse?  What's he wearing, striped pajama bottoms, a
sleeveless T-shirt and a Flock-of-Seagulls hairdo?

I think Pete looks lovely.  :)  Thirty-five is such a wonderful age.  It's
old enough to have character in the face and young enough to still be
beautiful.

>That's the same show as
The Quiet One [Face Dances] and Twist and Shout [Box Set], right?  Yet LROM
has that "thin" sound I'm talking about.  Anyway, I think it's one of their
greatest songs and worst stage numbers.

Erm.  I'm not sure what versions of these songs you're talking about.  John
did sometimes sing these live.  You're sure it's not John?

>Interesting take on Roger's voice.  There's another topic that could be its
own thread.  It may be stronger now, but I think he could definitely hit the
notes better back then.  He used to be amazingly faithful to the songs for a
rock singer, again, to my untrained ear.  He has to make a lot more
adjustments now.  I think he's doing a great job.

Definitely Roger had a terrific range back then.  It really shows up on his
solo albums, and of course a lot of old Who material is written with that
range in mind.  They really didn't look forward to what they'd so at sixty
when they didn't have those boyish tennors any more.  :)

Actually Roger still had quite a range at the end of the nineties, though he
seems to have given up a lot of the high notes now.  I agree that he's
compensating very well.  The songs aren't as showy as they were, maybe, but
they still rock.

keets