It's Hard

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 22:07:31 CST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "L. Bird"

> Speaking of the eighties, I was listening to "Love Reign O'er Me" last
> night on WhoTV and I was stuck by how much stronger Roger sounds now than
> he did then.  Even on his off days, he's got a better voice now.  What's
> the difference?  Slower tempo?  Different style? Throat surgery?

Is that the Giants Stadium show, with Roger in the silver suit?  And, could
Pete have looked any worse?  What's he wearing, striped pajama bottoms, a
sleeveless T-shirt and a Flock-of-Seagulls hairdo?  That's the same show as
The Quiet One [Face Dances] and Twist and Shout [Box Set], right?  Yet LROM
has that "thin" sound I'm talking about.  Anyway, I think it's one of their
greatest songs and worst stage numbers.

Interesting take on Roger's voice.  There's another topic that could be its
own thread.  It may be stronger now, but I think he could definitely hit the
notes better back then.  He used to be amazingly faithful to the songs for a
rock singer, again, to my untrained ear.  He has to make a lot more
adjustments now.  I think he's doing a great job.

Jim M