It's Hard

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 17:53:17 CST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Schrade"

> Hmmm.....I hear a bass drum, a hi-hat, & cymbals, also.  Perhaps your ears
> are clogged like Rabbit's.

Look, just because you're a drummer doesn't mean you know more about drums
than I do.  Ok, yes it does.

> Besides, the song calls for a stark approach on  drums...

If you mean a Starkey approach, I agree!  Haaaa!  Just kidding.  On closer
inspection of the studio version, I see what you mean.  What I was noticing
is the couple of places where Kenney rolls along his toms (?), specifically
the first flurry of the song and the beginning of the chorus.  On the
Toronto version, he just rat-a-tats his snare and doesn't go near a tom the
whole song.  At least that's what it sounds like to my untrained ear.  But I
do see now that the Toronto version is closer to the original than I had
realized.  I think I've gotten more used to the Zak and even Simon Phillips
versions.

> "The Quiet One," on the other hand,
> doesn't require a stark approach, & Kenney delivers.

The whole band delivers better on that one.  Even Pete's wimpy 1982 guitar
playing sounds stronger.  That's from the Giant Stadium show, right?  Was
the Toronto show particularly thin sounding?  I always thought that was just
their sound on that tour, judging from Who's Last and my memories of the
Worcester, MA show.  By comarison, The Quiet One kicks ass.

Jim M